Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pretty in Pink

Yesterday, I went out to lunch for corn dogs. Because, well . . . corn dogs.

'Nuff said.

Upon sitting down to eat my meal, I noticed that there was a man seated in my vicinity whom I can describe only as "pretty in pink," as in the '80s song/movie. Decked out in a bright pink shirt, a bright pink hat, bright pink shorts, he also carried a cell phone with a bright pink cover on it and was accompanied by a bicycle with a bright pink seat and pink handlebars.

It was a lot of bright pink for any human being, especially a guy with more facial hair than your own Angry White Loner.

My first inclination, admittedly, was to take a photo of this man with my camera. Because there's no way anybody else would believe I had seen someone go out in public dressed this way.

Fortunately, a second, better thought occurred to me soon after:

That man is a child of God.

On second thought, it's often a good idea to listen to and to be guided by those second thoughts that occur following those "natural man" initial impressions.

No other editorializing by me this time, folks. I'll simply leave it at that.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience while grocery shopping yesterday - saw a classic example for that site People of Walmart.... First impulse was to say something to the person I was with, but then had the very same thought you did: That is a child of God (who likely can't afford properly fitting clothes, so how dare I, in my economic privilege, judge). I'm ashamed of my first instincts but glad to have that other voice correcting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for that other voice, which I need to listen to more often. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete