Thursday, May 15, 2014

Love Poetry for Dummies: "Not a DTR"

"Not a DTR"


This is not a DTR;
I wouldn't even call it close.
It just my way saying that
I really like you, I suppose.


I'm not infatuated, though
I often think of you at night;
I wonder if you think of me
As the one who'd hold you tight.


When we are together, I find
That the hours just disappear;
And when we're not together,
I count the hours until you're near.


It's not like I use four-letter words,
Like that "L" one that can be so scary;
But I find that I am falling in "like,"
And I choose not to leave it buried.


So, this is no "Somewhere Out There,"
And it's not "A Whole New World."
It's just one guy and his feelings,
Expressed awkwardly in these words.


If I had the words, like Keats or Browning,
Or in a ballad that I've been humming;
I'd say it in a better way;
Instead, I write poetry for dummies.

No comments:

Post a Comment