Thursday, July 4, 2013

I (Don't) Love a Parade

'Tis the season for celebrating our freedom and our collective pioneer heritage with fireworks, barbecues, family get-togethers, making your own gravy (i.e. sweating profusely out in the hot summer sun), and, last but not least, parades.

Call me the Ebenezer Scrooge of Independence Day if you will, but I am not a big fan of parades. I don't enjoy them. In fact, I came up with a short list of 100 things I'd rather do than sit out in the hot sun on a 100-degree day and watch people slowly walk by over the course of several hours' time, not to mention the traffic logjam that follows driving home from a parade and that bloody fisticuffs that can often ensue when people get into a turf war over saving seats along the parade route.

Here are the first five items on my list:

#1. Sit at home and watch a "Honey Boo-Boo" marathon.

#2. Call up the dentist and volunteer for an untried and experimental procedure at his office. No need to compensate me for my time! Happy to do so. I also don't want anesthetic of any kind.

#3. Count the holes in the ceiling, using binary code to keep a tally.

#4. Give a cat a bath.

#5. Collect my belly button lint in a Mason jar. Then, knit a sweater with it. Give it to an ex as a Christmas present.

Okay, so maybe I exaggerate. Just a little.

Another reason why I avoid parades: Clowns tends to appear in them. And clowns are rather frightening to me. I also do not enjoy it when fire trucks burst the crowd's collective ear drums with their horns.

If any of y'all out there in the AWL's fan land - and there are literally a dozen or so of you - please don't take offense if you yourself enjoy parades or you attended one today and enjoyed it. They're fine for many people, just not for me. Plus, I do appreciate that parades give our military and law enforcement officials, for example, an opportunity to be publicly applauded, because they certainly have earned that right.

I also realize that if three spirits happen to visit me in my bedroom tonight and show me the error of my ways, then all bets are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment